At tCalling all Landlords – We need you!

Do you want to help refugees? 

Are you a landlord with property in the local area? If so, you could join a government scheme resettling refugees from Syria in the UK by renting properties from private landlords.

Landlords taking part in the scheme will be paid rent: the council offers Local Authority rates and sometimes offers one-off welcome or ‘thank you’ payments.

One of our current landlords, Anthony Bales, says:

“My experience as a landlord in the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Relocation scheme has been very positive and I encourage anyone considering this to go ahead. The borough council made it a straightforward process and having the assured rent means not having to worry about this aspect of letting a property.

“The Syrian family living in my house take great care of it and it feels satisfying to have seen them settle and know they  feel secure in their new surroundings. They are lovely people and that makes me even happier that I am participating in this scheme.”

What kinds of property are needed?

Homes need to be self-contained, and ideally available to rent for at least 12-18 months. They do not need to be furnished.

How much rent will I receive?

You will receive rent according to local Housing Allowance rates ( These currently are:

1 bedroom £693 pcm
2 bedroom £897 pcm
3+ bedroom £1126 pcm

Our Home from Home scheme will top up rents to market rates if necessary.

Who will use my property?

The scheme is for Syrian refugees who are currently in camps in the Middle East, and who have been identified as vulnerable by the United Nations. Anyone coming to the area under the scheme will be closely supported by the borough council.The government is asking every council to do what it can to help on humanitarian grounds, recognising that local areas have their own housing pressures. That is why help will be:

• Targeted: at Syrian refugees, through the government scheme.
• Limited: councils are typically offering to house only 10 families.
• Safe: refugees will be screened by the Home Office, as well as by the UN.
• Urgent: directed at vulnerable families, especially women and children at risk.
• Integrated: refugees will be supported by the council and local community groups.

If you are a landlord and interested in finding out more, email or telephone on 01732 876223. You can also email or complete our contact form.